Fort in INTRAMUROS

Fort Santiago

One of the oldest fortifications in Manila. Built in 1571 on the site of the native settlement of Raja Soliman. First fort was a palisaded structure of logs and earth. Destroyed in the Limahong attack in 1574. Stone fort built between 1589 and 1592. Damaged in the 1645 earthquake. Repaired and strengthened from 1658 to 1663. Became the headquarters of the British occupation army from 1762 to 1764. Repaired and renovated in 1778.

Former headquarters of the Philippine division of the U.S. Army. Occupied by the Japanese military in 1942 where hundreds of civilians and guerillas were imprisoned, tortured, and executed. Destroyed in the Battle of Manila in 1945.

Used as depot of the US Transportation Corps before turnover to the Philippine government in 1946. Declared Shrine of Freedom in 1950. Restoration of the Fort began in 1951 under the National Parks Development Committee. Management was turned over to the Intramuros Administration in 1992.

Source: Department of Tourism Brochure of Intramuros

  • About Fort Santiago
  • Timezone

    PHT (UTC +8)

  • Entrance Fee

    Php 75.00

  • Location

    Intramuros, City of Manila

Location of Fort Santiago

  • About Fort Santiago
  • Timezone

    PHT (UTC +8)

  • Entrance Fee

    Php 75.00

  • Location

    Intramuros, City of Manila


Post your comments

Have any news or comment about Fort Santiago? Join us in our discussion.

Sign Up

There are no comments about Fort Santiago

Load more comments